Sometimes the best things are the simplest.
A handwritten note.
A smile from a stranger.
The smell of fresh rain.
An afternoon nap.
A porch swing.
Fresh produce from the garden grilled to perfection….grilled eggplant with goat cheese. It’s simple. Eggplant + goat cheese = good.
Grilled Eggplant with Goat Cheese (Gluten free, grain free, vegetarian)
Serves 2 as a side
- 1 globe eggplant, split lengthwise
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- goat cheese
- fresh herbs (basil, thyme, or parsley)
- Preheat grill for direct heat. If using oven, preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice eggplant in half lengthwise, making sure to cut straight through the stalk if possible. Why? Cause it looks fancy without being fancy.
- With a small knife, make three or four parallel cuts in the flesh of the eggplant, making sure to not cut through to the skin. Repeat at a 45-degree angle in order to get a diamond hatch pattern on the flesh. Brush with olive oil (about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per half). Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place the eggplant halves skin down on the grill over medium flame. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until flesh is well cooked and browned. Flip and quickly sear the flesh. Watch closely. This should only take a minute. Remove from grill.
- Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese and fresh herbs. Finish with a light drizzle of olive oil.