I hope you all are having a wonderful and cozy day. My husband I made the trek from KC down to Oklahoma to visit my family. My brother had back surgery a week ago and has been recovering. It was wonderful getting to spend time with all of us together.
We cooked, we ate, we laughed, we made our gingerbread house, and we watched christmas movies on repeat while my bro was horizontal in bed recovering. He’s getting around better and was able to eat dinner with us and walk around with his walker.
We had to leave a day early because Oklahoma freaks out over the mere mention of a slight chance of snow. So thinking Snowmaggeddon is on its way, we had to make a mad dash up north to Kiley’s family’s house in Tulsa last night to try to miss this “massive” snow storm. We woke up this morning to clear skies and no snow. Womp womp. But at least we are safe and sound in Tulsa with Kiley’s family now with the warmth of coffee and a fire in the fireplace. We hope you and your families are warm, cozy, and enjoying time together and slowing down this season.
I’m whipping up a batch of flourless bite-sized brownies. I love the tiny size for snacking. There is no flour, only cocoa powder, melted chocolate, honey, eggs, and butter or coconut oil! They are super easy and can be topped with anything you have on hand. Yes…even bacon. I topped some with bacon (it was a hit), some with crystallized ginger, others with toasted walnuts, and some with salted caramel (my fave). The recipe is inspired by the flourless brownies in my new favorite cookbook, Practical Paleo. The recipe is found below.
Also, if you are looking for some last minute quick gluten-free recipes to make for Christmas dinner, I’ve gathered up a few of my favorites….
Mexican Breakfast Casserole (Grain Free and Dairy Free)
Crustless Quiche (Grain Free and Dairy Free)
Pumpkin-Apple Muffins (Grain Free and Dairy Free)
German-Style Apple Walnut Pancake (Grain Free and Dairy Free)
Spinach-Cheese Balls (Vegetarian and Grain Free)
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (Grain Free and Dairy Free)
Nutty Coconut Date Balls (Vegetarian, Grain Free, and Dairy Free)
Gluten-Free Side Dishes:
Kale Salad with Cranberries, Pecans, and Apples (Gluten Free and Vegan)
Grilled Delicata Squash with Kale (Gluten Free and Vegetarian)
Chewy Ginger Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten Free, Grain Free, and Dairy Free)
Fudge Brownies (Gluten Free and Vegan)
Flourless Brownie Bites (adapted from Practical Paleo)
Makes 30 brownie bites
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (I use 85% cocoa from Trader Joes), melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Toppings or mix-ins: bacon, walnuts, crystallized ginger, caramel, unsweetened coconut, flaked salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin tin with butter, coconut oil, or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- To melt the dark chocolate bar, break into small pieces and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted. It takes me 2 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the melted dark chocolate, melted coconut oil (or butter), maple syrup, vanilla, and eggs. Slowly sift the cocoa powder over the wet ingredients, whisking it evenly to ensure there are no lumps. Stir in salt and baking soda.
- Spoon the brownie batter into the mini muffin tins (about 1 1/2 tablespoons per muffin tin), filling about 3/4ths full. Top the batter with the topping of your choice (chopped bacon pieces, walnuts, ginger, coconut, caramel pieces, kosher salt). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
2 thoughts on “Flourless Brownie Bites (Grain Free)”
Merry Christmas, you guys! Glad to hear you’re safe and sound with Kylie’s family. Our “guaranteed” white Christmas amounted to about an inch of snow in Edmond. See you after the New Year!