The weather can’t quite decide what it wants to do….warm, cold, warm….snow. And sometimes, this change occurs all in one day. Sometimes I feel just as spastic as the weather. Unable to decide what to do, what to wear, what to cook….what type of apples to buy. Too many choices just clogs my brain up. Going into the bulk bin isle of Whole Foods is overwhelming to me. So many different types of beans, flours, sugars, grains, nuts, and snacks.
Sometimes it is best to keep things simple. So, in an attempt for simplicity, I present these salmon patties. Simple. Fresh. Quick. Healthy.
Using canned wild salmon makes these uber easy. If you don’t have oat bran on hand, you can whirl some oatmeal in a food processor or use bread crumbs. Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl, form into small palm-sized patties, and sauté in a grill pan for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Done!
I also whipped up a greek yogurt sauce with cilantro and lime to serve on the side. But these salmon patties are so flavorful and fresh tasting that you really don’t need the sauce.
Salmon Patties with Cilantro-Lime Sauce
Makes: 2 servings
Prep/Cook Time: 15 minutes
Salmon Patty Ingredients
- 1 (6 oz) can of canned wild salmon, drained and flaked
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (1 teaspoon of green parts set aside)
- 1/4 cup of diced sweet red bell pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oat bran (or oatmeal that has been processed into a fine meal from a food processor)
- 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- sesame seeds (optional)
Cilantro-Lime Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon of reserved sliced scallion (green parts)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- pinch of salt
Instructions – Salmon Patties
- In medium bowl, combine all salmon patty ingredients (salmon through pepper). Stir. If mixture is too wet, then add additional oat bran.
- Form into small patties, about 2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. This should make about 4 to 6 small patties. Sprinkle patties with sesame seeds. Smaller patties cook faster and stay together better. Plus they are just cute. Place patties on a plate. You can allow the patties to chill for an hour, if you have time. It isn’t necessary.
- Preheat griddle pan or skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray. Cook patties until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Instructions – Cilantro-Lime Sauce
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients (yogurt through lime juice). Add salt to taste. Serve cilantro-lime sauce on the side of the salmon patties, about 2 tablespoons per person.