Sometimes it takes getting away to rejuvenate the soul. My husband is a teacher and the end of the year finds him pretty worn thin. Recently, my glass has been nearly empty, leaving me in a cloudy funk. A road trip across America helps us slow down and center ourselves.
So far during our 2012 road trip to South Dakota, it has successfully lifted our spirits. The highlights have included:
1. Hitting a huge male wild pheasant, denting the roof of Annabelle (our 1974 VW camper) and having the poor pheasant lodged in between the poptop shell and the roof of the bus. We still have feathers all over the place. Eeew!
2. Driving through most of the major storms in SD, nearly setting sail and doubling up on wool socks and thermals as the temps plummeted to the low 30s. Thankfully Kiley upgraded us from a campsite to a cabin to escape the oncoming SNOW storm.
3. Coming within 30 feet of a wild bison herd on an evening hike. They stopped eating as we came around the corner and just looked right at us, daring us to come closer….hell no. Kiley tried to maintain Indian-silent footsteps, but I just pooped my pants….not literally. 😉
4. Eating the best bison dishes which includes: bison meatloaf, pulled bison, bison burger, bison tips with eggs, bison jerky, bison smoothies (just kidding)…But seriously, I think I have had my meat allotment for the next month! However, my husband is in caveman heaven.
5. Exploring a huuuuuge cave with awesome geologic features called box works.
6. Roasting marshmallows, playing dominos, and drinking irish coffees and downing multiple bottles of wine with my best friend.
Also, during this Memorial Day weekend, I encourage you to not only remember those that are no longer with us, but also let those that are still here know how much they mean to you and how their presence makes your life better. That will be my mission moving forward because I am one lucky lady.