Most of you know that my favorite kitchen invention is the Crockpot. I have raved about this domestication blessing before. Once temps jump a little lower, I pull this amazing beauty from beneath my counter and place her in her designated spot, front and center on the counter. BAM. Fall and winter scream for ROASTS and STEWS and CHILI! Nothing is better than coming home from work with dinner ready to go. Thank you my lil’ crockpot friend.
The crockpot is great for those tougher cuts of meat that need to be cooked low and slow. This Curried Beef and Sweet Potato Stew was inspired by a recipe for Crockpot Curried Short Ribs in my favorite new cookbook from Danielle Walker of Against All Grain. If you haven’t gotten her cookbook, go…now…run…fast. It’s awesome and filled with the most lovely food porn you will see, especially for grain free meals! Amazing.
The original recipe slow cooks short ribs in coconut milk and asian curry spices, which sounded divine. However, because I didn’t have all of the ingredients, the recipe quickly morphed into something new. The beauty of crockpots and imagination means that stew meat, sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and indian curry spices turns out to be one helluva meal! I have made curry stews with beef and sweet potatoes before, but this one was by far the creamiest because of my fabulous friend, the crockpot.
The house was filled with warming spicy aroma all day. You can increase or decrease the heat based on the quantity of curry powder and optional cayenne powder. We are SPICY people over here, so things get amped up till our knee pits sweat. Because THAT is living, people. Oh, and we served this stew over cauliflower “rice”. Check out this post for preparation methods. Mmmmm.
Crockpot Curried Beef and Sweet Potato Stew (adapted from the Against All Grain Cookbook)
- 1 to 2 pounds grass-fed beef stew meat (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz can diced organic tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 6 oz can organic tomato paste
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (light or full fat)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons curry powder (such as madras)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place the seasoned stew meat in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with onion, garlic, tomatoes, and sweet potato. Stir in cilantro leaves and stems. In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut milk, tomato paste, curry powder, salt and ground pepper until well mixed. Pour the coconut mixture into the slow cooker over the meat and vegetables.
- Cook for at least 8 hours on low, stirring the mixture every once and awhile.
- Serve over cauliflower “rice” or regular rice and top with additional cilantro leaves.
5 thoughts on “Crockpot Curry Beef and Sweet Potato Stew”
We NEED to break out the croc pot. Like YESTERDAY!
Agreed! I have another roast in the fridge ready to go into it tomorrow. I’m addicted.
Oh yes, made this twice already – very good. Makes a big crockpot full, plenty for leftovers. Hubby loves heating it up for lunch the next day. Very good over cauli-rice or brown rice.
Awesome! I totally agree. So glad both loved it. Nothing like easy dinner and leftovers!