I don’t know what evokes more tasty, comforting memories: peach cobbler or blueberry muffins. Both make me giddy. Both make me drool. Both make me scramble to the kitchen and wait impatiently for them to get out of the oven and promptly take too quick of a bite which then results in me burning the crap out of my mouth.
Every. Dang. Time.
And do I learn, people?
A friend of mine went blueberry picking and graciously parted with a few of her fresh, sweet, awesome blueberries. I also had some fresh Missouri peaches at the house. Oh YaH!
Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking? YAH! Let’s burn the crap out of our mouths with hot sexy blueberry peach muffins!!!!! YAH. Wait….that’s not what you were thinking? Seriously? Well it should be. Cuz that’s what we are going to DO! Tell your mouth to get ready.
What do we want? BLUEBERRY PEACH MUFFINS. When do we want them? NOW!
Fresh blueberries + fresh peach + lemon zest = dreamy
While these muffins were cooking, I sat and waited and watched through the oven door as they rose. I smelled the ridiculous spell-binding, blueberry-peach aroma as it wafted through my house. My stomach growled. I couldn’t take it! I nearly pulled them out of the oven too early because I WANTED THEM NOW! I was drooling.
But once they were finished, I pulled them out…I let them cool (for 2 seconds) and then I took a bite and felt those bursts of blueberries, the zip of lemon zest, the fresh juicy peaches…. And then it hit me. OOOOOOW…crap…burnt again…but…Mmmmmmm. The burned roof of my mouth and seared finger tips forget the pain easily when tempted and provided with such awesomeness.
Almond Flour Blueberry Peach Muffins (Grain Free, Gluten Free, Paleo-Friendly, Dairy Free)
- 2 1/2 C almond flour (I use Honeyville blanched almond flour)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- zest of 1 lemon (organic preferably)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 C maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tablespoons grass-fed butter or coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ripe peach, diced (ok to leave skin on)
- 1/2 to 1 C blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place 12 muffin liners in a 12 regular-sized muffin tin. Set aside. (I ran out of muffin liners half way through so I just sprayed coconut oil inside the muffin cups that were not lined.)
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt, and zest. In a separate bowl, combine together wet ingredients, which include eggs (slightly beaten), maple syrup or honey, melted butter or coconut oil (allow to slightly cool before adding to eggs or you will scramble those suckers), and applesauce. Add dry to wet and stir until combined. Stir in peaches and blueberries carefully!
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each lined muffin tin. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350F. Muffins will be set in the center and lightly browned on edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes. Then move to cooling rack (if you can stand it) and allow to cool the rest of they way…about 30 minutes…or if you are me, 30 seconds.
* The base recipe for these delicious muffins is adapted from an awesome blog called Power Hungry.