If you are looking for sneaking some veggies into an appetizer or if you need a great appetizer for your vegetarian friends, these spinach cheese balls are REDICULOUS. I think they have taken the place of my beloved sausage balls. Plus they are SUPER easy to whip up. I have made these three times during Christmas.
These taste so good and are packed with good greens that I didn’t feel too bad eating two or three or ten. Don’t judge!
I think these spinach cheese balls would be great on a sandwich, or in spaghetti as a vegetarian option for meatballs. You can make these ahead of time and freeze prior to baking. Pop the frozen balls in an oven preheated to 350 and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. They taste great when served with marinara sauce too.
Spinach Cheese Balls
- 1 frozen package of spinach (10 oz), thawed and thoroughly drained
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour (may need more depending on moistness of spinach)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- fresh ground pepper
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients (expect marinara dipping sauce) in a medium bowl. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.