I spent last week in the great city of Omaha for a new project at work. There is something amazing about being able to get out of the office and work with my hands, learn new things, meet new people, and wear my favorite boots…steal-toed boots. Ya, that’s right. Grrrrr!
My biggest problem of being on the road is trying to eat well. Seriously, you put big plates of food, and booze, and fries in front of my face and I will inhale them! You’d think that I was a ranch hand or a growing teen boy from Nebraska. I tried to order grilled salmon and salads whenever I could, but…. oh fries…and ketchup…and breweries!
Needless to say, my body and belly are thankful to be home, eating more wholesome foods and detoxing. To help with the wholesomeness, I roasted a butternut squash and beets with a miso-harissa dressing. Toss the roasted veggies with some fresh kale and extra dressing, and that, my friends, is a bowl-full of healing greens!
Miso Harissa Roasted Butternut Squash and Beets with Kale (adapted from 101 Cookbooks)
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 medium-sized beets, scrubbed, stems removed, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 Tablespoon harissa paste
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 bunch of kale, washed and destemmed
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a shallow roasting pan and set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, miso paste, harissa paste, lemon juice, cumin, and honey in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, combine the cubed butternut squash and the cubed beets with 1/3 cup of the miso-harissa mixture. Once the cubed vegetables are well coated, spread evenly on the roasting pan in a single layer. Roast the vegetables for 30 to 40 minutes at 400 F, stirring halfway through. Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven.
- Chop the washed and destemmed kale into 1-inch pieces. Place the kale into a large bowl and stir the remaining miso-harissa mixture into the kale until it is well coated. Add the warm roasted vegetables to the kale.
2 thoughts on “Miso Harissa Roasted Butternut Squash and Beets with Kale”
Wow! That is one gorgeous bowl of veggies! Can’t wait to replicate this.
Yum… now I’m hungry. Nice blog!