I came down with a horrendous cold last week. My head felt like it was in a vice grip. Thinking about going on a walk made me too tired. So all I did was lay on the couch, become a Pinterest addict, and watch guilty pleasures including Downton Abbey, Wes Anderson movies, Lady and the Tramp, and, of course, Varsity Blues.
The two things I wanted to eat were tapioca pudding (a childhood comfort food) and chicken soup…warm brothy chicken soup. I didn’t get the tapioca (boooh) but I did get chicken soup. I found this Mexican Lime Soup on Pinterest. This amazing brothy and spicy soup hit the spot.
Note – Be sure to use fresh limes to obtain the 1/4 cup of lime juice. Oh and serve with a fresh avocado. Game changer! I can also see this easily being compiled into a slow cooker and cooked all day.
Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup (Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Paleo-Friendly, Whole30 Compliant) (slightly adapted from Williams Sonoma)
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 limes juiced to yield 1/4 cup lime juice, extra slices for serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 cups low sodium organic chicken broth (homemade is best)
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs
- 1 teaspoon dried mexican oregano
- 1/3 cup diced cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, red bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, water, oregano, and lime juice and bring to a full boil. Add chicken. Bring back to a boil, lower heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove cooked chicken from pot with tongs and place on a cutting board. Shred into pieces with two forks. Add the shredded chicken back to pot. Turn off heat and add fresh chopped cilantro. Serve soup with diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and sliced limes.
9 thoughts on “Mexican Chicken and Lime Soup”
This looks really good!! You are making me hungry, haha.
Thanks for sharing!
-Tina from http://ohsnapletseat.com
I love, love chicken soup! I actually have some in my slow cooker right now. I stick to my same old recipe 99% of the time because it’s so good, but this looks like a great way to switch things up.
Mmmmmm! Chicken Soup heals the soul!
I couldn’t agree more!
this looks amazing! i’ve been down and out as well (so much Law and Order Criminal Intent plus Troop Beverly Hills). i might whip this up during the week along with some vegetarian chili to make sure we don’t get too far down the dangerous take-out hole while sick. thanks for sharing! looking forward to following along – added you to my RSS!
Really tasty and easy to make. I followed the recipe, plus added a dab of low fat sour cream at the side. After 2 meals still had enough zingy broth, I’m solo, to add more chicken and lots of veggies and enjoyed the 2nd version, too. Will definitely make again.
I recently had some Mexican Chicken Soup when I was in San Diego. It was wonderful. Your picture looks just like it! Thanks for the recipe. I plan to try making it this week.
Yum! It’s one of my favorites.