Eight years ago, I walked barefoot down the aisle to a crazy man. A crazy man who was in love with me. For the past 8 years, he has been my strength through some very difficult times. He has kept me sane (sort of), been my cheerleader, held my hand through illness, hugged me through tears, and made me laugh even when I’d rather be mad.
I’m an amazingly lucky woman. This year we celebrated early with a trip to Paris. So this week we are playing it low key with gluten-free jalapeno-bacon pizza from our fave pizza joint and a few beers. Cheers to my man.
Speaking of amazing, I also made these Chocolate Zucchini Banana Muffins for quick treats and snacks. They taste fabulous with a dollop of almond butter. If you do not have almond flour, these muffins can be made by replacing the almond flour with 2 cups of almond butter.
Honestly, you can’t go wrong with these muffins. The recipe is very versatile. I created a double dose of chocolate (cacao powder AND chocolate chips). However, you could leave out the cacao powder and just make Zucchini Chocolate Chip Banana muffins. I also delivered these muffins to several of our friends that are new parents. Huge thumbs up by all…and no one knew they were grain free. Muahahha.
Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Banana Muffin
Adapted from Against All Grain
Makes 24 muffins (Note – This recipe can easily be cut in half to make 12 muffins…or freeze the extras for quick breakfasts and snacks.)
- 3 cups almond flour (or 2 cups of creamy natural almond butter)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (for dairy free, use Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place 24 muffin liners in two 12-cup muffin tins. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda, cacao powder, powder, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger) in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
- In either a large food processor or a stand mixer, beat eggs, bananas, vanilla, and honey together for 1 to 2 minutes, until egg mixture becomes slightly frothy. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Stirring until just combined. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into lined muffin tins. Place in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and centers are cooked through. Ovens are variable, so this time may need to be adjusted based on your location (altitude) and oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in muffin tins. Remove from muffin tins and place on cooling racks.