Welcome the season of “How Many Parties, Booze, Snacks, Sweets, Treats, and Good Times Can I Shove Into My Face and Schedule”.
But there is one big problem with this season.
My stomach. She’s such a fun killer.
Given my cranky belly and gluten intolerance, I often go to holiday parties and find that there is hardly anything that I can eat without severe consequences. Lately, my trick for getting through party after party is to bring a delicious, healthy, and festive dish that I can eat and enjoy. By doing this I hopefully won’t be the one over in the corner munching on a pound of carrots and staring like a voracious dog at others eating seven layer bars, molasses cookies, sausage balls, and chocolate covered pretzels…. “No no no, I’m good. I LOOOOVE carrots. I hate other delicious things. No go on. Please keep eating. Please, I’m fine. I’m FIIIINE.”
This Broccoli, Apple, and Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Tahini-Maple Dressing has been my go to Christmas salad this season. It’s incredibly delicious with great crunch from the broccoli and brussels sprouts and crisp apple. Plus the savory tahini-maple dressing will have you wanting to lick the spoon! I have taken this salad to four different parties and have had great responses. It also holds up very well as leftovers for lunch the next day.
Oh and look how festive this salad looks! Greed, Red, and White! Sometimes I even add dried cranberries for more red pop!
So Happy Holidays to you and yours! Make a plan during this holiday season and don’t get overwhelmed! You can do it!
Broccoli, Apple, and Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Tahini-Maple Dressing
- 2 broccoli crowns, florets only, chopped
- 1/2 lb brussels sprouts (about 2 big handfuls), stems removed and discolored leaves discarded
- 1 large honey crisp apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (do not include for dairy free option)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Chop the broccoli into small bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Use a sharp chef’s knife or mandolin slicer to slice the brussels sprouts as thin as possible. Alternately, a food processor’s slicing disk could be used. Add the brussels sprouts to the large bowl with the broccoli.
- In a separate small jar or bowl, whisk the tahini, lemon juice, and maple syrup together to form a paste. Add water one tablespoon at a time until the mixture is creamy and pourable like vinaigrette (not too watery). Pour the dressing over the broccoli and brussels sprouts and toss to combine. (The salad can be made a few hour ahead of time to this point and refrigerated).
- Add the chopped apple, feta, and sliced almonds to the salad and toss lightly. Serve immediately.
- For paleo friendly, vegan friendly, and dairy free, do not include the feta cheese.
- If you don’t have tahini, almond butter could be used.
- For added protein and a complete meal, add some cooked quinoa or shredded chicken.