I have been in an alternate universe, my friends. A universe where people never sleep, the air smells like strawberry perfume, puke, and alcohol and no one seems to care that a burger costs $22. Ya….I speak of Vegas.
One of my oldest friends was getting hitched last weekend there. It was great to see him and his new wife as well as many old friends from college. It’s funny getting back together with friends that you don’t see that often, but when you do see them, it is as if no time has passed. But then the problem is that I feel like I have to cram so much fun into a condensed time span.
So what do you get when you concentrate fun in Vegas? Drinks that should never be THAT big, beer pong rallies (be sure close to your eyes when the ball hits the floor so that you don’t vom in your mouth), mechanical bull riding that felt like it lasted 10 minutes (I pulled a groin muscle doing this because I’m OLD), no sleep no sleep no sleep. It took only 12 hours for me and my husband to quickly realize that we were in our mid 30s, not early 20s. Ouch.
As a result, mama is in major decompression mode. No bright lights, no floral smells, no alcohol, no loud noises. All I need right now is to be wrapped up in a blanket like a human burrito while I listen to soul music on the record player. Put it on repeat please.
I also need a massive helping of this warm comfy soup to combat the outside temps that are in the teens!
Crockpot Beef and Mushroom Stew (Gluten Free and Paleo-Friendly)
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 2 onions, sliced in 1/4-inch slivers
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (optional)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place first six ingredients (stew through beef stock) in a crockpot. Cook on low for at least 8 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir arrowroot powder into sherry until a smooth paste is formed. Add sherry mixture to the crockpot and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper as needed.