Pizza, beer, and a movie is my idea of a perfect date night. I’ve been hunting around for a good grain free pizza crust recipe. Who knew cauliflower would come to the rescue!
Cauliflower is like the working mother of five or even fifteen. It can transform into so many different things…mash it, roast it, puree it, rice it, grill it. And now I’m adding one more thing to the list…crust it…that is, pizza crust, my friends. I was really amazed at how much this tasted like pizza.
Get out your handy dandy food processor and rice that cauliflower. Combine the riced cauliflower with eggs, seasonings, and some almond flour. Preheating a pizza stone and applying the cauliflower pizza “dough” onto the preheated stone helps produce a crisper crust. Prebake to get a golden crust. Then top with whatever toppings you choose. I have included my easy homemade pizza sauce recipe as well. Friday pizza night is back on!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (slightly adapted from Love and Lemons)
- 1 cauliflower, diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, salt
- 1 teaspoon each of oregano and parsley
- 3/4 cup almond flour
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 6 oz can of organic tomato paste
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon each of oregano, basil, and parsley
- 1 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place a pizza stone in the oven and allow to preheat.
- Chop cauliflower into 1/2-inch pieces. Place cauliflower flourettes into the food processor and pulse for a “riced” consistency. Don’t go too far or you will puree it. Remove from food processor and place the riced cauliflower into a microwave save bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix to form into a wet ball. If it is too sticky to handle, add more almond flour. Gently knead it a few times to help it come together. Remember…this is cauliflower, NOT all purpose flour so it will not resemble typical pizza dough.
- Remove the preheated pizza stone from the oven or use a baking sheet. Place parchment paper on top of the stone or baking sheet. Press the cauliflower “dough” ball onto the pizza stone or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Gently mold it into a 1/4-inch thick circle.
- Bake at 450 F for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- For the pizza sauce, combine all ingredients into a medium bowl. Top the baked pizza crust with the homemade pizza sauce.Then top with your favorite ingredients. We topped ours with cheese (not paleo, but I really wanted some melty cheese), pepperoni, jalapeño, and mushrooms.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.