I like surprises. Do you like surprises? Good. I have one for you. Be ready to have your mind space blown.
We are gettin’ craaaaazy today. Adding veggies to brownies. Ya, you heard me. I know stuffing a brownie with healthy zucchini might not be your idea of a great surprise, but I promise this brownie won’t disappoint you.
These are cakey-style brownies. So for you fudgey-style brownie lovers (like me) these are not those, buuuuut they are incredibly delicious. Plus, they are stuffed with wholesome nutritious zucchini, almond butter, maple syrup, and raw cacao powder! Ya, these are likely the healthiest brownies out there. They are really close to zucchini bread but with a double chocolate edge that comes from the cacao powder and diced dark chocolate bites. Mmmmmm. Can I get an AMEN?!?
If you don’t have almond butter, any nut butter would work. For the nonPaleo peeps and those not allergic to peanuts, these would be delish with peanut butter swapped in for the almond butter. But if your nut butter is not all natural (or has salt and added sweetener), be sure to eliminate the salt and reduce the sweetener in the below recipe to account for it.
Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone that you ate these for breakfast.
Paleo Zucchini Brownies (adapted from Fast Paleo)
- 1 cup creamy unsalted and unsweetened almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 X 8 baking dish and set aside.
- Shred 1 to 2 zucchini with either a grater or a shredder attachment on a food processor. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond butter, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in baking soda, salt, and cacao powder. After well mixed, stir in shredded zucchini and chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour into prepared 8X8 baking dish. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in preheated 350 F oven. The brownies are done with the center is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.