My heart is heavy on this last day of December and this last day of 2012. I’m staying in my pajamas and watching the snow fall. The snow falls so peaceful outside my window, yet I know that sometimes there is no peace and life is just not fair.
My thoughts go out to everyone who has lost someone this year. My thoughts go out to those that are lost. My thoughts go out to those that are enduring hardships that are unfathomable.
There are so many cruel and unfair things that occur and I always ask “why?”…but sometimes there is no reason. It’s just the way it is. I only hope that there is something better that hopefully will come out of tragedy.
So I make this cobbler for my friends that are struggling right now, my friends that are enduring an unfathomable loss, my friends that are lost in life. I make this cobbler to hopefully bring comfort into their hearts and to warm their souls.
Paleo Cranberry and Apple Cobbler (Grain Free, Gluten Free, and Diary Free) (adapted from Beeckman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook)
- 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries
- 3 medium apples, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9X9-inch baking dish with butter, coconut oil or nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, apples, crystallized ginger, water, and honey. Heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil and the cranberries pop. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in arrowroot powder. Pour the hot cranberry mixture into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients. Mix well. Spoon the topping mixture evenly over the filling.
- Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes. The cobbler will begin to bubble and the topping should lightly brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Best when served with vanilla coconut ice cream!